Monday, March 9, 2009

"Where will it end, Daria? Where will it end?"

I don't even know what to say about these articles anymore. I was raised to believe that I could do anything I wanted -- that I was, yes, a special and unique snowflake. You hear that from a lot of grad students, that you have to be someone who really believes that she can do it.

I just don't know if I can believe that. My parents always told me that I could be anything, and my professors encouraged me to think about grad school. But these days... I don't know. I already felt uncertain, short on confidence, and now things are worse than ever.

I don't want to give up on what I care about, but I don't want to delude myself, either.

I think I need a nap.

3 comments:

julikins said...

What do you want to do after grad school? Do you want to become a professor?

SG said...

I... um...

I'll get back to you on that.

Clare said...

I could hire you as a private teacher for our theoretical children! They will be so fucking educated. They will become mad scientists and stuff.